Anderson Mill Restoration Project
Anderson Mill is currently in need of a lot of attention with significant structural problems in the building but all major mill machinery is intact. The Tyger River Foundation is leading an effort which has a long term goal of total restoration, periodic operation open to the public, and establishment of an endowment for permanent funding.
We are optimistic about the future of Anderson Mill and hope to continue our restoration efforts in the near future.
Click to view Anderson Mill Image Gallery >>
History of Anderson Mill
Located at the intersection of the North Tyger River and Anderson Mill Road in Spartanburg County, Spartanburg, SC about 8 miles south-west of the town square in Spartanburg. Known earlier as Nichollís Fort, Nicholís Mill and Tannerís Mill. The mill gets its current name from James ďTyger JimĒ Anderson who acquired the mill in 1831.
The original facility is believed to have been built about the time of the American Revolution. The current building is the result of a major rebuilding process after being heavily damaged by floods in the early 1900ís. The Mill is the oldest mill in South Carolina still standing on its original foundation and capable of restoration. It was last operated commercially in the 1960ís by A. A. Sellars. Anderson Mill (Andersonís Mill) was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
There is a surprising amount of information about old water wheel mills on the web. We are regularly accumulating relevant links to support our efforts and increase our background knowledge.
Click to view Anderson Mill Resource page >>