Closed for Restoration
Opening Date TBD
5255 Anderson Mill Road
Moore, SC 29369
Anderson Mill is the oldest standing mill in South Carolina and the birthplace of Spartanburg County government. The Tyger River Foundation is restoring this property to an operating mill open periodically to the public and is establishing an endowment to keep the mill in operating order.
at Historic Anderson Mill
Located at the intersection of the North Tyger River and Anderson Mill Road in Spartanburg County, about 8 miles southwest of the town square in Spartanburg, Anderson Mill was formerly known as Nicholl’s Fort, Nicholl’s Mill and Tanner’s Mill. The mill gets its current name from James “Tyger Jim" Anderson who acquired the mill in 1831. The site of the establishment of Spartanburg County in a court held in the Spartanburg District on the third Monday in June 1785. The mill is important to Spartanburg's local history.
Anderson Mill is located adjacent to a set of rapids with significant drop and is supplied by a millpond created by a diversion wall with a stone and wooden flume leading to the waterwheel.
The original facility is believed to have been built about the time of the American Revolution. There was a major rebuilding process after the mill was heavily damaged by floods in the early 1900's. The Mill is the oldest mill in South Carolina still standing on its original foundation. It was last operated commercially in 1975 by A. A. Sellars. Anderson Mill (Anderson’s Mill) was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The Tyger River Foundation began exploring the possibility of restoring the mill in 2005 and has maintained the site since then. The adjacent Riveredge Homeowners Association donated the Mill to The Tyger River Foundation in 2010.